Rejected...Postdoc edition

Jul 02 2012 Published by under Postdoc

We recently interviewed a postdoctoral candidate for our lab and rejected the chap for more than a few reasons:

-No papers.  Not a big deal but when combined with everything else, it doesn't help.
-No enthusiasm for anything that we do in the lab.  The dumpsterbaby reportedly checked his iPhone while speaking to one of the senior technicians in the lab and what we do and what the culture of the lab is like.
-Didn't really care to talk science at all during the interview process.  If I wanted to make small take, I'd have talk to someone more interesting.
-Forgetting to read some of the most recent papers from the lab.  Ding ding ding, this is the kiss of death.  We no longer work on redacted, that was like 10 years ago and what the boss got tenure on, we've changed topics.  Hopefully you would have noticed this.
-Not disclosing pertinent information on your CV.

He was a nice guy but lets face it, we are in a business that doesn't put a premium on nice guys, just folks that have their act together and will get the job done.  When you interview you have to have your proverbial shit together and be well read on what your potential lab does.  Also its not a good thing when your CV has huge gaps in it that seem to be filled in on your LinkedIn profile.  Consistency is the key.

• Dr Becca says:

I don't get it...if his CV sucked and he had no papers, why did you interview him?

• Genomic Repairman says:

He comes from a good lab but one that is very slow to publish. And boss decided to fly him out not me

• Yael says:

I got interviews and offers when my first paper was in the revision stage, but nothing was published.

• DrugMonkey says:

You snooped him on Linked-In?

• Dr 27 says:

Wow, that's just .... why did this person go on an interview at all? Also, how on earth did he get an invitation in the first place?

• We were interested in doing something that his lab was known for and we thought he was well versed in that field. Turns out not so much. I think because he seemed appealing we would take him bring him in and interview him. It was an unsolicited email from the guy to my boss at a time when we were just submitting a proposal on work that we thought he would be useful for.

• Jim Thomerson says:

I never understood what was going on here. Some years ago, our chair, who was cell biology/medical oriented, invited a series of post docs in to give a lecture. Maybe fifteen minutes into the lecture, he would stand up and ask the post doc what hypothesis he was testing. None of the post docs could give an answer to the question. I don't know what the chair was trying to accomplish, and I did not understand why the post docs could not answer the most fundimental question about their efforts.