Worst presentation ever...

Jun 06 2012 Published by under Meetings

Its rough to have to sit through a presentation where someone is just spitting bricks of shit out of their mouth and trying to pass them off as gold.  Your presentation is riddled with grammatical and spelling errors, their is no linearity, and we are all having a hard time following it.  The only good thing about your presentation is that it sets a horrific baseline for what is bad and presumably your presentation skills can only improve.

• physioprof says:

I've seen some of the most abysmal presenters improve enough to become some of the best.

• Genomic Repairman says:

Hell I was one of them, this person is getting to the stage of the game where they shouldn't be stumbling this bad though. We took them aside afterwards and helped them to clean up the presentation and make it into something decent. This person is just turning in too many of these poor performances.

• Sean says:

The nice part is if you follow them, you can be a rock star.

• darchole says:

Bonus points if it goes over time by more than 15 minutes.

And sometimes people never improve, but still manage to go on to the next stage, PhD, post-doc, faculty...

• Julian Frost says:

You say:

Your presentation is riddled with grammatical and spelling errors

but then:

their is no linearity

whoops.

• Dr 27 says:

No way ... WTH is wrong with people. When I was a grad student my boss used to make us practice and review our presentations, and check for inconsistencies, grammatical errors, error in linearity, heck, even pronunciation! My PD boss was a bit hands off, and I do remember seeing a grammatical error in someone's poster or presentation. I was appalled. I don't know what the heck was going on there, but clearly my PD lab didn't have a policy of practicing talks beforehand or showing them to the boss, or someones else to check for these errors. A shit-ton of brownie points less if you're the PI and make these mistakes, IMO.

• Hermitage says:

An unfortunate number of presentations turn into a test of endurance, for both the speaker and the audience.