Suggested reading...Neuroscience

Oct 09 2012 Published by under Publishing

While I'm loathe to do so, I'm trying to brush up on Neuroscience.  Is there a good entry-level text book that anyone could recommend?

• qaz says:

It depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking for a specific intro to some aspect of neuroscience? There are definitely better options than KSJ for specific aspects. (KSJ is also a bit out of date, having been first written in the mid-1990s.) KSJ is definitely the "classic" that most neuroscience programs used to go to, but there is more competition now. (Most general users that I know have found the KSJ very hard to read.) It might be what you need; however, personally, I prefer the Purves et al ("Neuroscience"). I'm familiar with the 4th edition from 2007. There's a fifth now. For more specific aspects (behavior, sensory physiology, genetic implications, etc), there are good specific textbooks as well.

• Ewan says:

Yeah, KSJ just released their new edition (and sent me a review copy, yey). I'd look no further.

• drugmonkey says:

He's a flipping bioscience grad student, not a "general reader" ffs!

• Thanks for the suggestion, I just want a text that is a good jumping on point but not neuroscience for dummies and if I need to go more in depth, I start with a more recent review article.

• Bashir says:

The one DM recommended. Mind you it is a brick of a book.

• PinkGlitteryBrain says:

Ewan, thanks for the heads up! Also, I really like the Purves textbook. As a TA for Neuro courses, I've used it to supplement the assigned textbook.

• AssProf says:

Molecular Basis of Neuropharmacology: A Foundation for Clinical Neuroscience

Eric J. Nestler, Steven E. Hyman, Robert Malenka

Don't let the title fool you. I loved this book as a grad student and give it to new grad students as a primer.

• me says:

real talk......ion channels and excitable membranes by bertil hille!!!...and others depending on where your curiosity lies.....those big books are nonsense because of their grandiose perspectives....

• PUIProf says:

Start with Purves as a jump off, go to one of the others for more in-depth. I like all the aforementioned, but don't forget Zigmond, Squire et al.,