Trading Spaces

Aug 27 2013 Published by under Lab, PI

I swear to spaghetti monster that we almost shit bricks and started sounded cold war era air raid sirens when a scary proposition was brought up.  Is it the declining NIH budget, are we moving, are there layoffs.  No dear reader, no.

Our PI wants to jump back into the lab and work on a side project.  While I'm sure it's a romantic notion that harkens back to his days as a graduate student, it terrifies the shit out of us.  Let me start off by saying, he is a great boss that is brilliant and very supporting of his trainees.  But as a bench scientist, he is utterly unfamiliar with our lab and where stuff is at, is not accustomed to how long or how much work it takes to get stuff done.  But worst of all, you move like a glacier compared to us.

We move at a pace that would make meth heads think they saw the Flash, thus we don't need you in our way staring at the freezer trying to figure out where something is at when we need to grab that enzyme now!  I think the honeymoon for him after proclaiming that he would make all his own buffers from scratch, he is now pinching from our stocks.  So I'm assuming this will not last long.

Its fun to watch though.

• eeke says:

Assume nothing. Let him pinch from your stocks, make sure everything he needs is there, and give him refreshers where necessary. He's doing this himself, because he can't afford to hire an extra person to do it for him, and he needs the rest of you to keep going on your own projects. And he needs this data as a potential segue into another grant application.

• Dr. Noncoding Arenay says:

I agree with eeke.

My ex-boss was recently telling me that he's going to start working in the lab again a few days a week (probably already has). Because he cannot hire an additional person right now. Is this becoming a trend due to the current funding crunch? Maybe.

• Genomic Repairman says:

Actually its not a case or being cash-strapped or trying to get some pre-lim data. We are pretty solid on money for the near future and we just actually hired someone in the lab. It really just boils down to doing a week and a half long screening of samples. I think this is more of him wanting to get back in the lab and show he can be productive and pitch in when needed.

Some aspects of what he will need to do is pretty easy, others are hard if you have over 20 years of rust. Oh and we all have been gladly supportive, giving buffers and advice.

• Genomic Repairman says:

And if we were financially in the shit, no one would be have any problem with him coming back into the lab. Not that we do now, its just amusing to see.

• Dave says:

...is not accustomed to how long or how much work it takes to get stuff done

You should view this as a big positive. If the only thing that comes out of this is that he "recalibrates" his expectations in terms of how long something should take in the lab, that is great.

I'm in the lab all the time and everyone pinches from MY stocks!!!!!

• Genomic Repairman says:

That's because you are a stud Dave. And you are right, its a nice dose of reality for how long shit can take.